- 1 2/3 cups milk
- 1/2 vanilla bean, cut in half lengthwise
- 1/2 cinnamon stick
- 1 hot red chile, halved and seeded
- 3 1/2 ounces bittersweet (70 percent) chocolate
- brown sugar to taste (optional)
- whipped cream, chocolate curls, cognac or Amaretto to serve
- Place the milk in a saucepan, add the vanilla bean, cinnamon stick and chile and gently bring it to a shivering simmer for 1 minute.
- Grate the chocolate and whisk it in until it melts.
- If you must, then add brown sugar, but do try without it.
- Take off the heat and allow it to infuse for 10 minutes,then remove the vanilla, cinnamon and chile.
- Return to the heat and bring gently back to a simmer.
- Serve in mugs topped with whipped cream, chocolate curls or a dash of cognac or Amaretto.
|"Chocolat" movie still, Johnny Depp and Juliette Binoche|